PE and Sport Funding Grant
The government is providing funding for the academic year 2017/2018 to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on the provision of PE and sport.
The allocation for Downderry this academic year is £16,000. This money will allow the school to improve the opportunities and the delivery of PE and sport at Downderry. Improvements will be sustained through opportunities to support the professional development of staff and the training of pupils to lead sessions, improving skills and confidence. Strengthened collaboration and exit routes will also enable sustained improvements.
The allocation will be used to pay for or help subsidise the following:
1. Broaden Experiences of a Range of Sports and Activities Offered to All Pupils
- The operation and maintenance of our on-site swimming pool.
- The employment of highly qualified ASA swimming coaches from Saxon Crown Swimming Club to teach swimming.
- Membership of the Tennis Foundation.
- The purchase of tickets for the Wimbledon Tennis Championships for pupils.
- The provision of performing arts after school club opportunities (including a variety of dance and drama).
- The provision of an after school judo club with links to Northbrook Judo Club to enable progression via an exit route.
- The purchase of 5-a-Day TV (an online dance programme).
- The facilitation of cycling training sessions.
- Opportunities to attend trampoline sessions.
- The provision of fitness equipment.
2. Increased Participation in Competitive Sport
- Entry fees to join the Lewisham inter-schools’ football league and cup competitions.
- The employment of staff to manage teams at the Lewisham inter-schools’
football league and cup competitions.
- Hire of the local pool for swimming galas for children in years 1 to 6.
- Swimming lessons for year 5 children at our local pool.
- The facilitation of attending intra-borough competitions at secondary schools.
- The operation and maintenance of our school minibus (to allow teams to attend PE and Sport events).
3. Increased Confidence, Knowledge and Skill of Staff in Teaching PE and Sport
- Opportunities to observe expert external coaches.
- Provision of equipment to facilitate differentiated PE sessions and the support to show how these can be used.