At Downderry Primary School PSHE and Citizenship are an important, integral part of the whole curriculum. We provide a broad and balanced curriculum, ensuring that it:
- Promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of our children and of society.
- Prepares our children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences they already face and for adult life.
- Provides information about keeping healthy and safe, emotionally and physically. (Prevent Duty).
- Encourages our children to understand how all actions have consequences and how they can make informed choices to help themselves, others and the environment.
Children need the self-awareness, positive self-esteem and confidence to:
- stay as healthy as possible
- keep themselves and others safe – making safe choices, recognising threats to personal safety and wellbeing, developing ways to resist pressures and knowing when and how to get help (Prevent).
- have worthwhile and fulfilling relationships
- respect the differences between people
- develop independence and responsibility
- play an active role as a member of a democratic society
- learn how to deal with compromising situations
- make the most of their own and others’ abilities